NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The PowerShares QQQ Trust (QQQQ), the biggest technology exchange traded fund, has risen 20% since the end of August, almost twice that of the broader S&P 500 Index, powered by an increase in the shares of Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG).
But investors in tech ETFs could have gotten bigger gains elsewhere. PowerShares QQQ Trust's underlying index is the Nasdaq-100 of the largest domestic and international non-financial securities listed on the namesake exchange. Rival ETFs, for instance, load up on Internet stocks and Chinese shares. Some tech ETFs trailed the PowerShares QQQ Trust, which has more than $20 billion in assets.
TheStreet explored technology-ETF alternatives with the help of experts Tom Lydon, editor of ETF Trends, and Christian Magoon, CEO of Magoon Capital.
iShares Global Technology ETF (IXN)The iShares S&P Global Technology Sector Index Fund, up 18% since Sept. 1, tracks the technology companies found in the Standard & Poor's Global 1200 Index. It's market-cap weighted and, therefore, prone to sizable bets on the world's biggest companies, with more than half of its assets among its top 10 holdings. Included in the top 10 are the world's tech heavyweights such as Apple, which makes up 10% of assets, followed by Microsoft (MSFT), IBM (IBM), Google and Cisco (CSCO). As for its global moniker, that's debatable. The only non-U.S. name in the ETF's top 10 is South Korea's Samsung. Three-quarters of the companies are headquartered in America, followed by Japan, at 9%. "Technological advances are occurring across the globe so investors need to look worldwide as they build their technology allocation. IXN delivers exposure to more than nine countries touching four different technology sub sectors," Magoon says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV