3. Taseko Mines (TGB) has primary operations related to the exploration of copper mines. With Wall Street analysts bullish on the stock, the stock has an attractive return on equity of 35.1% and a trailing P/E ratio of 10.37, as compared to a return on equity of 7.5% and P/E of 38.8 recorded by its peer Hudbay Minerals (HBM).
For mining companies, a low payback and high leverage multiple are healthy. Taseko has a payback of 2, which is lower compared to its peers, such as Hudbay, with a payback of 3.2. Its leverage is 15.7 times, the highest among peers; Hudbay has a leverage of 6.8. In a scenario where metal prices are assumed at current levels, Taseko is estimated to gain 338%, and when prices move 30% down or up, the stock is likely to gain 171% or 506%, respectively.
The company has a strong advantage over its peers indicated by a significant $200 million cash in hand, an estimated 60% copper production increase from one of its mines over the next nine months and almost 11 billion pounds of copper resources. For the second quarter ended June 2010, Taseko recorded copper production of 20.1 million tons.For the third quarter, the junior miner reported a 5.6 million-pound production increase from its Gibraltar mine, as compared to the earlier quarter, up 11.7 million pounds from the year-ago quarter. Taseko's chief executive attributed improving production to the capital investment made in 2006. The outcome is a modern, low-cost, efficient copper mine capable of generating significant cash flows over the next 25 years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV