FedEx Ground Distribution Hub In Troutdale, Ore. (Photo: Business Wire)
As part of an ongoing national expansion plan, FedEx Ground, the small-package ground delivery unit of FedEx Corp., (NYSE: FDX), today is celebrating the opening of a major distribution hub in Troutdale, Ore., replacing its former Portland operation on Swan Island. Leading the celebration of the more than $130 million facility is FedEx Ground western region vice president John Hiltz and Oregon Senate Deputy Majority Leader Laurie Monnes Anderson.
The new 447,000 square-foot operation sits on 77 acres of land and is the first development in the Troutdale Reynolds Industrial Park which was an aluminum reduction site for nearly 60 years. Earlier this year, the company was awarded an Oregon Brownfield Award for the work done in transforming the former brownfield site. The third annual award was sponsored by Business Oregon and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality.
The package processing hub features advanced material-handling technology that moves packages at 540 feet per minute along nearly 15 miles of conveyor belts, processing up to 22,500 packages per hour. With projected future expansion, the facility will be able to process 60,000 packages per hour at full capacity.
“Enhancing our distribution capability in the Pacific Northwest is an important step in our ongoing efforts to increase the size, speed and efficiency of our network,” said John Hiltz. “This new facility will help us meet the growing demand of local shippers, improve service on packages coming into the area for final delivery and serve as one of just two gateways for shipments destined to Canada.”Currently about 750 employees, independent contractors and their drivers are working out of the new hub. About 100 of those people have been added since the hub began operating in August. Eventually, the workforce is expected to exceed 1,000 people.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV