NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The number of Americans filing unemployment claims for the first time showed a surprise drop last week according to a labor department report released early Thursday.
The advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims fell by 21,000 to 434,000 in the week ended Oct. 23, from the previous week's upwardly revised estimate of 455,000. Analysts were expecting initial claims to rise by 6,000 to 458,000, according to consensus estimates from Briefing.com.
The number of people filing continuing claims -- those who have been receiving unemployment insurance for at least a week -- also came in lower than expected at 4.356 million for the week ended Oct. 16, a decrease of 122,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 4.478 million. Consensus estimates projected continuing claims to drop to 4.428 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV