Net profit rose from $3.25 billion in the same period in 2009.
Shell said revenue in the quarter rose 21% to $90.7 billion.
"Our results have rebounded substantially from year-ago levels, driven by some improvement in industry conditions, and Shell's strategy. We are seeing new growth, with improved earnings and cash flow, underpinned by a 5% increase in oil and gas production, a 22% increase in LNG sales and increased downstream volumes," said CEO Peter Voser, in a statement Thursday.Shell took a net charge of $1.41 billion for oil inventory that has fallen in value, mostly at its refining arm, compared to a net gain of $371 million in the third quarter a year earlier. Stripping out inventory effects, earnings would have risen 18%. The company produced 3.06 million barrels of oil and equivalents per day, up 5% from a year earlier. The company reported production earnings doubled to $3.15 billion from $1.54 billion, helped by higher oil prices, lower costs, and lower exploration spending. Global oil prices were up more than 10% from the third quarter of 2009. Meanwhile, Shell's refining earnings fell to $325 million from $1.29 billion, due mostly to the inventory effect. Earnings rose to 56 cents on a per-share basis from 53 cents last year. Shell kept its dividend at 42 cents. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV