GOP Seeing More Independent Support: Poll
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A Gallup poll released on Wednesday found the electorate expected to head to the polls for congressional elections next week looks to have a decidedly more Republican bent than it has in past years.
The poll shows a significant shift in the percentage of voters either identifying themselves as Republican or as independents leaning Republican to 55% of the electorate from 45% in 2006.
And it looks like the GOP's gain is the Democratic party's loss because the percentage of those either identifying themselves as Democrats or as independents leaning that way fell to 40% in the new Gallup poll from 52% in 2006.
Gallup said the gain was mainly attributable to a greater percentage of independents, 16%, leaning toward the Republicans than had occurred in the past, and it noted that the 40% figure for Democrats was the lowest such percentage "of the past several midterms."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV