Beacon Federal Bancorp, Inc. Announces 3rd Quarter 2010 Earnings
EAST SYRACUSE, N.Y., Oct. 27, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Beacon Federal Bancorp, Inc. ("the Company") (Nasdaq:BFED), the holding company for Beacon Federal, announced today net income decreased $243,000 to $1.2 million, or $0.19 per basic and diluted share, for the quarter ended September 30, 2010, from $1.4 million, or $0.22 per basic and diluted share for the quarter ended September 30, 2009.
For the nine months ended September 30, 2010, net income increased $1.4 million to $3.9 million, or $0.64 per basic and diluted share, from $2.5 million, or $0.38 per basic and diluted share, for the same period in the prior year.
Ross J. Prossner, President and CEO of the Company said, "I am happy to report with our latest quarterly results that we've continued this year's strong financial performance. We expect that our focus on lowering the cost of funds and growing noninterest income will help to insulate our positive results while we continue to operate within a challenging economy."Prossner added, "One of our primary goals remains to maximize non-maturity deposits as a percentage of our overall deposit base. The non-maturity accounts provide greater opportunity for building lasting customer relationships that tap into all of Beacon Federal's financial products while also helping to lower our cost of funds." The financial highlights for the quarter ended September 30, 2010 were as follows:
- Net interest income grew by 10.3%, to $7.9 million, compared to $7.2 million for the same period a year ago.
- Net interest margin increased to 3.02%, compared to 2.76% for the quarter ended September 30, 2009.
- Cost of funds decreased to their lowest historical level at 2.43%, compared to 2.91% for the same period a year ago.
- Book value per share grew by 11.7% to $16.84 at September 30, 2010, compared to $15.07 at September 30, 2009.
- Provision for loan losses increased by $630,000 to $1.9 million when compared to the same period a year ago.
- The Company recognized a $634,000 other-than-temporary impairment (OTTI) charge for the third quarter of 2010 related to other-than-temporary credit losses on certain securities. During the quarter ended September 30, 2009, the Company recognized an OTTI loss on securities of $192,000.
- On September 24, 2010, a quarterly cash dividend was paid of $.05 per common share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV