Alliance Holdings Boosts Dividend As Profits Rise
TULSA, Okla. (AP) â¿¿ Coal company stakeholder Alliance Holdings GP, LP boosted its quarterly dividend on higher third-quarter earnings Wednesday.
Shareholders will receive a quarterly cash dividend of 50 cents per unit, up more than 13 percent from a year ago and nearly 4 percent above the previous quarter's payout. The dividend will be paid Nov. 19 to holders of record at Nov. 12.
The partnership earned $39.5 million in the third quarter, or 66 cents per share â¿¿ a 67 percent increase over the $23.7 million, or 40 cents per share, that it earned a year earlier. Analysts had been expecting higher earnings of 72 cents per share, on average.
Alliance Holdings is a holding company whose sole activity is joint ownership of Tulsa-based coal operator Alliance Resource Partners LP. Alliance Resource's production fell in the third quarter as mine safety officials stepped up oversight after a series of deadly accidents. Government inspectors are quicker to stop work at mines cited for health and safety violations.Alliance Resource earned $73.2 million, or $1.48 per share, up from $36.4 million, or 57 cents per share, a year earlier, the company said Wednesday. Revenue rose 37 percent to $410.4 million from $299.6 million as strong demand from China boosted prices for steelmaking coal. However, analysts had expected stronger results from Alliance â¿¿ profit of $1.69 per share and revenue of $418.6 million. Shares of Alliance Holdings fell 87 cents, or 2 percent, to close at $40.78 on Wednesday, and shares of Alliance Resource finished down 2.5 percent to $59.45.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV