Microsoft Excel for Mac -- for business? Potentially, yes.
As much as Microsoft (MSFT) and Apple (AAPL) hate to admit it, there is one place the bitter rivals openly cooperate: business process software. Microsoft's Office lineup of Word, PowerPoint and Excel running on Macs is probably the oldest and, by some measures, most successful software brand for both companies. Excel hit its 25-year anniversary in September. And with Apple's fortunes on the rise, the entire Office for Mac group has gained cache inside Redmond. To wit, the group just released its latest upgrade, Office 2011, which packs faster performance, new features and a long-overdue trip to the woodshed for Entourage, Office for Mac's ridiculous e-mail client. Microsoft Outlook, the standard communications platform for business, now works for Macs and PCs.
I got an in-depth demo from Excel for Mac product manager Gavin Shearer, and I have been testing a final version for several weeks, focusing on Excel as a quant tool on the Mac.Here's what the bean counter in you needs to know: WHAT YOU GET
This is a legit version of Excel that really works on the Mac. No matter what Google's (GOOG) Spreadsheets, Apple's Numbers or Sun's OpenOffice claims, without question Microsoft Excel is still the king of spreadsheets. It is fast, unbelievably flexible and the backbone of just about any successful business I am aware off. Problem was, running Excel on the Mac was a royal pain. Spreadsheets often would not export properly, charts and formulas would go south and for some nutty reason performance was flat. Basically, if you needed Excel, you needed a PC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV