Top Android apps story updated by adding Intuit's "Mint" app.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Google's (GOOG) Android Market reached its 100,000-app milestone last week. While that's about two-thirds less than the number available in Apple's (AAPL) App Store, all signs are pointing toward growth for the ecosystem surrounding Google's mobile OS.
More than 200,000 Android phones are activated daily -- double the number of activated devices just several months ago, according to Google, and just a bit behind the iPhone, of which Apple says it activates more than 275,000 per day. And according to a recent report by IDC, Android's OS market share will jump from 16% today to 25% in 2014.
So what does all the hype mean? Scads of developers and programmers around the world are scrambling to create games, content and every type of app imaginable for the Android platform.Culled from a variety of rankings -- from tech blogs to CNET to the Android Market itself -- here are 12 of the most-downloaded, free Android apps, tested by TheStreet's tech team on a Motorola (MOT) Droid X.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV