Porter Bancorp, Inc. Announces Third Quarter 2010 Results
“We also strengthened our capital position this year with capital raises totaling $32 million. At the end of the third quarter, our total risk-based capital ratio rose to 16.35%, well above the 10.0% requirement for a well-capitalized institution, the highest regulatory rating. We believe the new capital will provide a solid base to support our continued growth as the economy recovers,” continued Ms. Bouvette.
Third Quarter Results
- Net income was $2.4 million for the three months ended September 30, 2010, compared with $4.5 million for the third quarter of 2009. Earnings per fully diluted common share were $0.16 in the third quarter of 2010 compared with $0.46 per share in the third quarter of 2009.
- Net interest margin increased 14 basis points to 3.73% in the third quarter of 2010 compared with 3.59% in the third quarter of 2009. The increase in margin since last year benefited from a lower average cost of funds.
- We recorded a gain on sale of securities totaling $2.2 million during the third quarter. We made a strategic decision to liquidate our portfolio of private label mortgage backed securities during the quarter which totaled approximately $23 million.
- Average loans decreased 2.5% to $1.34 billion in the third quarter of 2010 compared with $1.37 billion in the third quarter of 2009. Net loans decreased 4.8% to $1.30 billion in the third quarter of 2010, compared with $1.37 billion at September 30, 2009.
- Deposits increased 0.8% to $1.39 billion compared with $1.38 billion at September 30, 2009.
- Total assets increased 3.0% to $1.78 billion compared with $1.73 billion at September 30, 2009.
- Efficiency ratio was 60.9% in the third quarter of 2010, compared with 47.1% in the prior year third quarter. Our efficiency ratio increased due to an increase in non-interest expense.
- Non-performing loans decreased $2.9 million, or 5.9%, during the third quarter to $45.8 million at September 30, 2010, compared with $48.7 million at June 30, 2010. The decrease was primarily attributable to non-performing loans moving through the collection, foreclosure and disposition process.
- Non-performing assets increased $2.3 million, or 2.0%, during the third quarter to $119.5 million at September 30, 2010. The increase was primarily attributable to non-performing loans moving through the collection, foreclosure and disposition process.
- Shareholders’ equity rose to $202.6 million at the end of the third quarter. The increase was primarily attributable to an additional $5 million capital raise that closed during the third quarter. The proceeds from the offering and third quarter net income resulted in improved capital ratios, including 11.71% tier 1 leverage ratio and 14.44% tier 1 risk-based capital ratio as of September 30, 2010.
Net Interest Income
Net interest income increased 1.4% to $14.6 million for the three months ended September 30, 2010, an increase of $202,000, compared with $14.4 million for the same period in 2009. Net interest income rose 11.0% to $43.5 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2010, an increase of $4.3 million, compared with $39.2 million for the same period in 2009. The increase in net interest income was primarily attributable to an increase in net interest margin compared with 2009.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.