By Jon C. Ogg, 24/7 Wall St.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Mergers and acquisitions are still coming in the world of technology and communications. Many deals have been announced in technology that are around the Ciscoization of the data center and around cloud computing and software.
Here are four technology and communications companies that are potential M&A targets.
Let's see how they compare to the Technology Select Sector SPDR (XLK) ETF, which has been on fire rising from under $21 at the end of August to above $24 currently. The index ETF recently hit a 52-week high that is now technically a two-year high.
Brocade Communications (BRCD) rose as an M&A potential target in late summer and shares have held their own despite the thought that many feel a merger here would have to come at too high of a premium for a buyer.
This was one of our picks for stocks which could double earlier this year before the cloud and M&A craze came, and the buyout thesis for a low-cost provider in networking and storage was a part of that call.The company is effectively half Brocade in storage and half Foundry in communications and networking. Shares were at $5.15 on our first go-round, now shares trade around $5.80. The 52-week trading range is $4.64 to $9.45 and the market cap is roughly $2.6 billion. Brocade is not meant to be an earnings report play as shares are often volatile around earnings. The status of a deal is currently "possible, but nothing set on the books." Analysts also have an average price target of $6.35 for Brocade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV