NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apparel stocks are poised to report strong third-quarter earnings, but the real interest will be fourth-quarter guidance and any inside peaks into 2011.
Cost pressures are expected to get tougher moving into the end of the year and start of 2011, which will be on investors' minds as Hanesbrands (HBI) kicks off earnings on Wednesday.
"While the story for 2010 was primarily of easy inventory comparisons and the return to prominence of the department store sector, we believe 2011 will be a case of the 'big getting bigger,' as dominant players take further market share and international players capture further high margin expansion, Brean Murray analyst Eric Beder, who has a buy rating on the apparel universe, wrote in a note.
There's plenty of upside for apparel makers in the third quarter, with easy inventory comparisons, strong department store results, the weak dollar and still limited cost pressures.While the fourth quarter will continue to see easy inventory comparisons, it will begin to stiffen going forward and become negative in 2011, Beder wrote. So who are the dominant players of the apparel universe? Here's a look at how apparel stocks are poised to fair heading into third-quarter earnings....
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV