United Fire Reports Third-Quarter 2010 Results
- Net income of $0.14 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2010, compared with net loss of $0.38 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2009.
- Book value per share increased $0.91 from June 30, 2010, and increased $2.38 to $27.73 since December 31, 2009.
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa, Oct. 25, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- United Fire & Casualty Company (Nasdaq:UFCS) today reports our financial results for the third quarter and first nine months of 2010.
|Financial Highlights||Three Months Ended September 30,||Nine Months Ended September 30,|
|(In Thousands Except Shares and Per Share Data)||2010||2009||Change %||2010||2009||Change %|
|Net premiums earned||$ 119,158||$ 120,759||(1.3)%||$ 350,548||$ 358,751||(2.3)%|
|Net investment income||27,084||27,786||(2.5)||83,343||78,416||6.3|
|Income Statement Data|
|Net income (loss)||$ 3,640||$ (10,156)||135.8||$ 38,426||$ (12,220)||414.5|
|Net realized investment gains (losses)||859||1,252||(31.4)||4,156||(9,565)||143.5|
|Operating income (loss) (1)||2,781||(11,408)||124.4||34,270||(2,655)||NM|
|Per Share Data|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share||$ 0.14||$ (0.38)||136.8||$ 1.46||$ (0.46)||417.4|
|Net realized investment gains (losses)||0.03||0.05||(40.0)||0.16||(0.36)||144.4|
|Diluted operating income (loss) per share (1)||0.11||(0.43)||125.6||1.30||(0.10)||NM|
|Pre-tax catastrophe losses (1)||$ 4,705||$ 9,488||(50.4)||$ 15,431||$ 19,596||(21.3)|
|Effect on after-tax earnings||0.12||0.23||(47.8)||0.38||0.48||(20.8)|
|Effect on combined ratio||4.4 %||8.6%||(48.8)||4.9 %||6.0%||(18.3)|
|Book value per share||27.73||25.60||8.3|
|Cash dividends declared per share||0.45||0.45||—|
|Diluted weighted average shares outstanding||26,323,588||26,618,408||(1.1)||26,375,895||26,618,421||(0.9)|
|NM = not meaningful|
|(1) The Non-GAAP Financial Measures section of this release defines and reconciles data not prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP.|
Focus on disciplined underwriting and strong, long-term agency relationships places United Fire in strong position when market conditions improve.
"Our results have improved immensely from the third quarter of 2009, but were not as good as our first two quarters of 2010," said President and CEO Randy Ramlo. "We are still satisfied with our overall results, and having a combined ratio below 100 percent year to date is an encouraging sign. Our results have deteriorated some due to several large losses. Some of these losses occurred this year and some of these losses resulted from developments on losses from prior years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV