NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Good Sunday afternoon and welcome to another edition of Weekend Reading. First a look back at the week that just finished, then a look forward at the week ahead, and then a summary of articles and research papers worth reading.
It was a decent week for the major U.S. markets, but gains were more muted than they have been in previous weeks. The S&P 500 gained 0.5%, the Dow was up 0.7% and the Nasdaq ended the week up 0.3%.
Blame bank troubles, worries about trade and currencies (China's and the U.S.'s in particular), as well as indifferent earnings. On the other hand, it was a solid week for U.S. IPOs, with six averaging gains of 31%.
Looking ahead to next week, it will be all earnings, all the time, albeit with a continuing backdrop of trade and currencies. Third-quarter earnings season will be solid, with few surprises, so most of the attention will be on guidance. There will be continuing fallout from this weekend's G20 meeting, which seems to have produced a group hug but not much else in terms of incentives for countries to play nicely given current trade tensions.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Turning to economic indicators, we will see reports in the coming week on existing-home sales, durable goods orders and U.S. third-quarter GDP. As for earnings, the week will bring reports from Amgen (AMGN), Texas Instruments (TXN), Ford (F), CB Richard Ellis (CBG), Waste Management (WM), and Chevron (CVX), among a host of others.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV