Small-Cap Winners, Week of Oct. 18-22
LSI Industries (LYTS) was the fourth best performer in the Russell 2000 last week, jumping 23.7% to finish at $8.28. Despite the run-up, shares of the Cincinnati-based maker of lighting and electronic signage products are still down almost 15% year-to-date.
A resounding beat Thursday on expectations for the company's fiscal first-quarter results was what sparked the buying for LSI Industries as the company reported an adjusted profit of $4.3 million, or 18 cents a share, for the September period, more than double year-ago equivalent earnings of $1.6 million, or 7 cents a share, and far beyond the average estimate of three analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for earnings of 4 cents a share.LSI's sales surged 18% year-over-year to $79.9 million, which was far ahead of Wall Street's expectations of $66 million. "While we are proud of the increase in sales, we also believe these operating results demonstrate that LSI is being operated on a very efficient basis and will enjoy favorable operating leverage to its earnings as net sales increase," said Robert Ready, the company's president and CEO, in its Oct. 21 press release. LSI shares hit a 52-week high of $9.29 on Thursday, so they saw some profit-taking before the week drew to a close. It's been a real rocket ride for the stock since scraping a 52-week low of $4.69 in late August.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV