Small-Cap Winners, Week of Oct. 18-22
Travelzoo (TZOO) was the third-best performer in the Russell 2000 last week, gaining 26.3% to close at $34.65. Year-to-date, shares of the New York online marketer of travel and entertainment deals are up an incredible 118%.
In this case, a strong earnings report on Thursday was the impetus for the big gains. Travelzoo posted a profit from continuing operations of $3.7 million, or 22 cents a share, for the three months ended Sept. 30, up from year-ago equivalent earnings of $1.3 million, or 8 cents a share, and well ahead of Wall Street's consensus estimate for a profit of 11 cents a share.Wedbush Morgan lifted its 12-month price target on Travelzoo to $40 from $32 following the report, saying the results were "much better than expected as Europe finally reached profitability." The firm also cited rising valuations for online travel companies as a potential catalyst from Travelzoo, noting appreciation in the shares of competitors like Expedia (EXPE), Orbitz Worldwide (OWW), and Priceline.com (PCLN) as well as Google's (GOOG) acquisition of ITA Software for $700 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV