Editor's note: As part of our partnership with PBS's Nightly Business Report, TheStreet's James Rogers joined NBR to discuss under-the-radar Internet infrastructure stocks. (Watch video and read transcript)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Blue chip tech stocks like Google (GOOG) and Amazon (AMZN) may be the biggest names on the Internet, but investors looking to harness some upside in the next stage of the Web revolution should watch Akamai (AKAM), Rackspace (RAX) and Digital River (DRIV), say analysts.
The powers of these lesser-known Web stocks lie in areas like content delivery, managed hosting and online transaction processing -- key web technologies that help ease and eliminate data bottlenecks created by the massive demand for content that mobile device-wielding customers expect from the Internet.
"It doesn't seem like people are slowing down their use of the Internet," said Tim Klasell, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus. "We're continuing to put up more Web sites and do more transactions over the Internet."
These three stocks offer a different form of specialized Web service and present a cheaper entry point into Internet stocks than do Google and Amazon, which are priced, respectively, at $616.50 and $169 a share.The three companies have all also hit 52-week highs in the past month. Read on for more about why analysts say Akamai, Rackspace and Digital River have topped their lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV