When the Kinect motion capture device releases Nov. 4, it will be the last major Xbox release in a year the Microsoft system got back into the game. The slimmer, less expensive version of the 360 was released in June after an unveiling at the Electronics Entertainment Expo and has topped the Nintendo Wii and Sony (SNE) PlayStation 3 for the NPD Group's console sales high score each month since. Unlike previous Xbox 360 consoles, which were fraught with technical problems and kept gamers in fear the "red ring of death" would turn their Xbox into an expensive corpse, the new 360 has been devoid of such problems.
|Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming system had a number of wins this year, and the Kinect motion capture device slated for release this month looks to be another.|
"Microsoft has finally released a console that people feel safe buying," said Shane Satterfield, editor of GameTrailers.com, shortly after the new 360's release. "I think a lot of people waited until they sorted out their hardware issues and are finally jumping in."As a result, overall Xbox sales are up 34% year-to-date and it was the only console to post September sales greater than those of a year earlier. Those sales have the Xbox dreaming of slaying a bigger boss: the Nintendo Wii and the annual sales title it's held since wresting it from the Xbox 360 in 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV