Verizon's results topped both Wall Street's sales and EPS expectations, but slow wireless subscriber growth compared to rival AT&T (ATT) pushed the stock down. Verizon shares declined 1.3% to close at $32.09.
Shares of Riverbed Technology climbed over 18% to close at $54.27, after the company announced its third-quarter results after Thursday's closing bell. Revenues skyrocketed 45% over the same period last year to $147.8 million.
The WAN optimization company, which also announced plans for a two-for-one stock split, posted net income of $26.6 million, or 34 cents per share, compared to $14.5 million, or 19 cents per share, in the third quarter of 2009.Riverbed's earnings performance prompted analysts from Canaccord Genuity, Wedbush and Jefferies to upgrade the stock. Vicor Corporation (VICR) also saw a huge trading day Friday, as strong third quarter earnings boosted the stock. Vicor, which makes power components and systems, increased its revenue to $68.6 million from $47.7 million during the same period last year, and saw profit rise to 38 cents a share from 4 cents a share. Shares jumped over 16.4% to close at $18.72. Cirrus Logic (CRUS) fell almost 4% Friday after a disappointing second quarter. Revenue increased 81% to $100.6 million, and adjusted profit rose to 40 cents a share from 11 cents a share during the same period last year. However, the results fell short of analysts who expected a profit of 42 cents a share on $101.8 million in revenue. The stock closed Friday at $13.22. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV