NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The following 10 metals and mining stocks provide higher dividend yields compared to peer stocks and offer investors stable income to overcome higher volatilities in the stock markets. A few of these stocks have been maintaining (or increasing) their dividend payouts for decades.
Consequent to stable income through dividends, the four dividend-yield coal stocks (with market caps of $1.3 billion to $2.5 billion) among the top 10 have low beta values of 0.68-0.97, in comparison to the 1.44 of coal giant Peabody Energy (BTU), which has a market cap of $13.9 billion. Similarly, the two dividend-yield steel stocks (with market caps of $1.1 billion and $12.0 billion) have low beta values of 1.03 and 1.37, lower than the 1.52 beta value of U.S. Steel (X), which has a market cap of $6.1 billion. Low beta values means they increase or decrease (in percentage terms) less than stock market indices and, hence, are less risky than peers of similar market capitalization.
The S&P 500 has surged 3.4% so far in October, while the SPDR S&P Metals and Mining ETF (XME) gained 2.5%, underperforming the broader markets. Stable incomes and low beta values will likely help these stocks outperform peers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV