(Chipotle article updated with information on shares reaching a 52-week high.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of Chipotle (CMG) surged to a 52-week high in after-hours trading on Thursday after the fast-food chain handily beat expectations and reported a 39.9% rise in earnings for the third quarter.
Shares traded up more than 6% after the closing bell to crest $190 per share.
For the three months ended Sept. 30, the Denver-based fast-food restaurant chain reported earnings of $48.2 million, or $1.52 per diluted share, compared with earnings of $34.5 million, or $1.08 per share, in the same period a year ago.Analysts had expected earnings of $1.31 per share according to Briefing.com. >> Restaurant Stocks: Earnings to Watch Chipotle three-month revenue vaulted 23% to $476.9 million from $387.6 million, driven primarily by the expansion of the company's store base and a 11.4% growth in comparable-store sales. During the quarter, Chipotle opened 22 new restaurants, bringing the total restaurant count to 1,023. For the nine months to date, Chipotle saw earnings vault 39.1% to $132.5 million, or $4.18 per share, compared with earnings of $95.2 million, or $95.2 million, in the same period a year ago. Chipotle nine-month revenue increased 19.7% to $1.35 billion from $1.13 billion. Chipotle anticipates opening between 135 and 145 additional restaurants next year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV