NEW YORK, N.Y. (TheStreet) -- Stocks in the homebuilder sector were mostly higher on Thursday.
Shares of NVR (NVR) edged up 0.4% after the builder and mortgage banker beat top- and bottom-line quarterly earnings expectations .
Despite the beat, NVR's profits tumbled nearly 40%, and earnings nearly 17%, from year-earlier results, as new orders, settlements and homes sold but not yet settled all declined in the quarter. NVR's cancellation rate rose to 18%, from 14% a year ago.
"With contract backlog at $1.2 billion, we see revenues rising in the mid single-digits in 2010 and 2011," noted S&P homebuilder analyst Ken Leon, who maintained a buy rating on NVR shares but lowered his price target by $40 to $720. Modeling on weaker sales, the analyst lowered his 2010 earnings-per-share expectations to $32, from $38, and 2011's eps estimate to $40 from $43 per share. "However, NVR's competitive strengths include its strong balance sheet and communities in non-Sunbelt markets."The most heavily traded stocks in the homebuilder sector Thursday were PulteGroup (PHM) and D.R. Horton (DHI). PulteGroup shares fell 0.5% in early afternoon trading while D.R. Horton pushed up 2.2%. Lennar (LEN), which returned to year-over-year profitability when it reported quarterly earnings in late September, added 0.8% Thursday afternoon. >> Lennar Beats on Return to Profitability
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV