NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- They make things like polymers, adhesives, resins, caustics, solvents, abrasives and ethers.
They manufacture such substances as polyethylene and polyurethane and polypropylene and polybutylene terephthalate and ethylene dichloride and estrobond triacetin plasticizer, which is what becomes the filters on cigarettes.
And they're as necessary to the civilization we find ourselves in as roads and running water.
Chemicals: It's one of those behind-the-curtain industries no one thinks about (or wants to think about) until they drive by one of their sprawling plants, all smokestack and twisting pipe, like some science-fiction city -- or consider buying one of their stocks.It's an interesting moment for chemicals, split into two subsectors, the commodity chemicals and the "performance" or "specialty" chemicals. The chemical companies on our list of four -- Dow Chemical (DOW), DuPont (DD), Eastman Chemical (EMN) and Celanese (CE) -- are among the biggest and the baddest in the land, and they've all benefited since the second quarter from a potent combo: quickening demand, especially in export markets, and declining raw materials costs. This last dynamic is especially true in the commodity chemicals realm, where natural gas, a crucial feedstock, remains cheap.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV