Bob Guccione, Penthouse Founder, Dies
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Bob Guccione, the founder of Penthouse magazine, died on Wednesday after a long battle with cancer. He was 79.
His family announced that Guccione passed at Plano Specialty Hospital in Plano, Texas on Wednesday.
Guccione founded Penthouse in 1965 and debuted the publication in the U.S. in 1969. By the 1980s he had become a millionaire.
In 1982 he was listed on the Forbes 400 list of wealthiest people with a net worth of about $400 million. He eventually lost his fortune and in 2006 General Media, the then publisher of Penthouse, filed for bankruptcy. Guccione resigned as chairman and CEO of Penthouse International.Penthouse's main competitors include Playboy (PLA) magazine and Hustler, which is owned by Larry Flynt Publications. Penthouse is now owned and published by the private company FriendFinder Networks, formerly known as Penthouse Media Group. -- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV