Updated from 6:17 a.m. EDT
ESPOO, Finland ( TheStreet) -- Nokia (NOK), the handset maker, said third-quarter operating profit swung to €403 million ($564.6 million) from a year-earlier loss of €426 million as net sales rose 5%.
Nokia said total mobile device volume in the third quarter was 110.4 million units, up 2% from last year but down 1% sequentially.
Net sales were €10.3 billion vs. €9.81 billion last year.Nokia said net sales of devices and services in the third quarter were €7.2 billion, up 4% from last year and 6% sequentially. The company said it expects devices and services net sales to be between €8.2 billion and €8.7 billion in the fourth quarter. Nokia said it expects its mobile device volume market share to be slightly down in 2010 from last year. Nokia previously expected its mobile device volume market share to be flat in 2010. "Our company faces a remarkably disruptive time in the industry, with recent results demonstrating that we must reassess our role in and our approach to this industry," said Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, in a statement Thursday. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV