Loan loss reserves covered 0.68% of total loans as of September 30, which was "way ahead of the pace" of loan losses, as the annualized ratio of net charge-offs to average loans for the third quarter was a very low 0.33%.
Hudson City was very strongly capitalized, especially for a profitable holding company in the current environment. For main subsidiary Hudson City Savings Bank, the Tier 1 leverage ratio was 7.91% and the total risk-based capital ratio was 22.42%. These ratios need to be at least 5% and 10% for most banks to be considered well-capitalized by regulators. While the company didn't include a tangible common equity ratio in its third-quarter earnings release, its tangible common equity ratio was 8.86% as of June 30, according to SNL Financial.
Hudson City's shares trade for about 1.1 times the tangible book value of $11.08 the company reported as of September 30. Based on a 15 cent quarterly dividend payout, the forward yield on the shares is 5.09%, and the dividend is very comfortably supported by earnings.
Analysts lack conviction on the shares. Out of 16 analysts covering Hudson City, 12 have hold ratings, two rate the shares a buy and two recommend investors sell the shares.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Philip van Doorn. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV