The company said it earned $837 million, or $1.12 a share, in the third quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated $1.06. Revenue rose 2% to $17 billion. Analysts had estimated $16.8 billion.
In the same quarter a year earlier, Boeing lost $1.6 billion, equivalent to a loss of $2.23 a share, as it booked losses related to delays in development of the 787 and 747-800.
Looking ahead, the company boosted full-year guidance to between $3.80 and $4 a share as a result of the stronger outlook for commercial aircraft sales. Analysts had been estimating $3.96. Boeing also said it expects full-year operating cash flow to exceed $1.5 billion, while revenue would fall between $64.5 billion and $65.5 billion. Analysts were estimating $64.5 billion."Our results and revised outlook reflect the continued strong performance of our commercial production and services programs and the ability of our defense businesses to produce solid results in a challenging environment," said CEO Jim McNerney, in a prepared statement. "Orders were particularly encouraging, with a multi-year production contract for 124 F/A-18 aircraft and more than 200 net commercial airplane orders booked in the quarter." Boeing's backlog increased to $321 billion. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. . >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV