GOP Gaining Ahead of Elections: Poll
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A new poll is pointing to a major victory for the Republicans in November's congressional elections.
According to the Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, Republicans are running ahead of Democrats, 50% to 43%, among likely voters enjoying a 3% increase from a month ago.
The poll surveyed 1,000 voters -- 48% male and 52% female -- from Oct. 14-18, and was conducted by Democratic pollster Peter Hart and Republican pollster Bill McInturff.
The WSJ article said the GOP is leading by 20 points in the 92 districts of the House of Representatives that are considered the most competitive."It's hard to say Democrats are facing anything less than a category four hurricane," Hart told the Journal. McInturff estimated the Republican's lead would translate to the party picking up 52 to 53 seats in the House, beyond the 39 it needs to seize control, the article said. In other takeaways from the poll, respondents showed an increase in optimism about economic conditions with 37% saying they expect the economy will get better in the next 12 months, up from 32% a month ago. The mid-term elections are slated to take place on Nov. 2. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV