If speculation holds and Verizon brings Apple's (AAPL) iPhone into the fold in the first quarter of next year, its 14.1 million in sales last quarter -- a 91% improvement over the same period last year -- could be easily eclipsed; JP Morgan (JPM) estimates that the iPhone will boost Verizon profits by 11%. Unlike AT&T, where 13 million iPhone subscribers at the end of the first quarter of this year accounted for 15% of the wireless subscriber base and 25% of wireless revenues, though, Verizon has a few more toys in the box.
Verizon's Motorola (MOT) Droid X, Droid Incredible and Droid 2 Google (GOOG) Android phones, for example, accounted for about 27% of total Android sales in the second quarter of this year. Also, roughly 4% of Verizon's smartphone users use 2 gigabytes of data per month, compared with only about 2.5% of AT&T's iPhone customers.
Here's a look at the iPhone and how it stacks up against five smartphone alternatives:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV