Yahoo! earnings story updated with quote from Carol Bartz
Yahoo! posted earnings of 29 cents a share, which included some gains related to the selling of companies like HotJobs. Without the boost, EPS came in at 17 cents, which was above the Wall Street consensus estimates calling for 15 cents. In the year-ago period, Yahoo! reported an EPS of 13 cents a share.
Sunnyvale, California-based Yahoo! generated revenue of $1.12 billion, excluding traffic acquisition costs, up slightly from the $1.13 billion it had reported a year ago. Analysts had expected revenue to stay flat at $1.13 billion.Yahoo! anticipates fourth-quarter revenue to fall between $1.13 and 1.23 billion. Display advertising is up 17% this quarter over the same period last year. Yahoo! stock, which was up nearly 7% in the last five days thanks to rumors of a private equity or AOL (AOL) buyout, was up 11 cents in after-hours trading to $15.49. Yahoo! has also come under scrutiny after a string of executive departures within the last month. Bartz declined to comment on private equity rumors, "as tempting as it is to tell you what I really think," she said during the earnings call. Recent reports have also suggested that Yahoo! might consider divesting its 40% stake in Chinese Internet company Alibaba. Bartz declined to speculate on Yahoo!'s relationship with Alibaba going forward but "as with any investment, we're focusing on maximizing value to shareholders," she said. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV