It's easy to make the case that for a sector as volatile as solar, profit-taking after this year's rally -- which reached a crescendo after last week's Solar Power International conference in Los Angeles -- is not a surprising event, and it might not be long-lasting either. The solar sector has traded away from a general market selloff several times in recent months.
It's also a matter of pullbacks after recent gains that leave some stocks still well ahead of where they were just a month ago. LDK Solar, for example, even with a 14% loss on Tuesday, is still at a higher share price than it had been at any point in the last year, including last January, its previous one year high mark.
In terms of the overall action in Chinese solar stocks, the group seemed to reach a collective plateau last Thursday, and start heading south from there, so this isn't a one-day event.
The downward trend since a short-term peak last Thursday was also the case for the Chinese stock considered the best long-term play also, Trina Solar (TSL).With bullishness still the mode in solar, Jefferies analyst Jesse Pichel was arguing by last Friday that the selloff in solar was a reason to buy. The Jefferies analyst cited the currency concerns, and to a lesser extent the trade war, as culprits for the selloff, but said the events were overblown. Among the biggest bullish signs last week was an announcement from First Solar (FSLR) about another capacity expansion, a notable event as First Solar has been described in the past by some solar analysts as overly conservative on capital spending.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV