NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Coldwater Creek (CWTR) is up a creek without a paddle, as the women's apparel retailer said on Tuesday it expects to report a loss in its third quarter. But what exactly led to this massive earnings revision?
Coldwater Creek now foresees same-store sales tanking 20%, and slashed its guidance to a loss of 14 cents to 19 cents a share, from prior outlook of a profit in the range of 1 cents to 4 cents.
"The fall merchandise lacked appeal and failed to resonate with customers resulting in lower sales than anticipated," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Richard Jaffe, wrote in a note. He calls out important fall categories, like jackets, pants and woven shirts, as most likely holding back sales.
Coldwater Creek also did not invest enough in key categories, Jaffe said, instead relying on last year's best sellers to generate sales this year."We anticipate margins will be pressured as management will take aggressive steps to clear the less appealing offerings in advance of holiday," Jaffe wrote. Coldwater Creek now expects to end the quarter with total inventory up in the mid-single-digit range versus previous expectation of flat. Shares of Coldwater Creek are plunging 35.1% to $3.48 in morning trading. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV