A year earlier, UnitedHealth earned $1.04 billion, or 89 cents a share.
UnitedHealth said revenue rose 9& to $23.67 billion.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected the company to earn 84 cents a share on revenue of $23.31 billion.UnitedHealth said it anticipates earnings in 2010 of $3.85 to $3.95 a share on revenue close to $94 billion; analysts are looking for net income of $3.60 a share on revenue of $92.93 billion. On a sequential basis, revenue growth in the third quarter for the company's health benefits segment was driven by increases in consumers served in UnitedHealthcare commercial risk-based products and in Medicaid membership. The sequential revenue increase for the health services businesses was led by Ingenix and OptumHealth, UnitedHealth said in a statement Tuesday. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV