For the third quarter, IBM reported a 12% increase in net income to $3.6 billion, from $3.2 billion the previous year. Earnings per share rose 18% to $2.82 per share, from $2.40 per share a year ago. Revenue increased 3% to $24.3 billion from $23.6 billion the same time last year.
Analysts were expecting IBM to report earnings of $2.75 per share on revenue of $24.12 billion.
During the quarter, global services revenue increased 2%, growth markets revenue increased 16%, software segment revenue grew 1% and systems and technology revenue grew 10%.IBM said it estimates that the company's services backlog at Sept. 30 was $134 billion, up $5 billion quarter on quarter and down $2 billion, adjusting for currency effects. The backlog was flat year over year, adjusting for currency. The backlog included signed services contracts of $11 billion, down 7% in the quarter, of which 10 contracts were greater than $100 million. Transactional signings were $5.4 billion, an increase of 4%. Outsourcing signings were $5.7 billion, down 15%. IBM said including an agreement signed on October 8, the company would have reported outsourcing signings growth of 14%, adjusting for currency effects, and that this would have increased total signings reported to $12.7 billion from $11 billion. IBM added that it has boosted full-year EPS expectations to at least $11.40 from the previously-expected $11.25. The full-year EPS consensus estimate has been $11.29. IBM stock has tumbled by 3.7% to $137.60 in after-hours trading despite the solid earnings announcement. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV