BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Investing in biotech stocks is tricky. Biotechs are usually unprofitable and burn through cash, appearing destined for shareholder dilution or bankruptcy court. Yet, those that do succeed deliver obscene returns. Dendreon (DNDN), which developed the Provenge prostate-cancer drug, has surged, on average, 68% a year since 2007.
Here are 10 of the highest-rated biotech stocks. They're exceptionally risky, but predicted by analysts to double, triple, quadruple or even quintuple in the next 12 months. Below, they are ordered by projected return, from big to biggest. Investors should investigate each company and its drug candidates.
10. NeurogesX (NGSX) develops novel pain-management therapies. NeurogesX's second-quarter loss widened 88% to $10 million, or 58 cents a share, as revenue turned positive. The operating margin remained negative. NeurogesX has $68 million of cash and $40 million of debt, equal to a quick ratio of 4.9. Its stock trades at a sales multiple of 21 and a cash flow multiple of 7.3, 79% and 60% discounts to peer averages. All five of the analysts covering NeurogesX rate its stock "buy." A median price target of $14 implies that the stock will rise 96%.
Bullish Scenario: Roth Capital Partners predicts that NeurogesX's stock will gain 123% to $16.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV