(Biotech Winners & Losers item updated for closing stock prices.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Lexicon Pharmaceuticals (LXRX) stock was one of the leading gainers among biotech shares Monday on a day when most names in the land of experimental medicaments were in the green.
The Nasdaq Biotechnology Index jumped 6.24 points to 930.20
Shares of Lexicon, a Houston-based outfit that's attempting to develop treatments for diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis, among other diseases, gained 4% to $1.79 Monday after earlier going as high as $1.91. Volume exceeded 1.9 million shares; average daily turnover has been about 750,000 shares.Lexicon is expected to release results of a Phase Two clinical study of its rheumatoid arthritis drug LX2931. The firm launched the 12-week study in August 2009. On Friday, the company's CEO, Arthur Sands, is scheduled to deliver a presentation at the Biotech Industry Conference in New York. Elsewhere, Exelixis (EXEL) shares added 21 cents, or 4.6%, to $4.81, on brisker-than-average volume. Earlier in the session, the stock hit $4.99. Last week, the company licensed a pair of drugs still under development to Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) for an initial payment of $60 million. The two companies will collaborate on developing the drugs, which could be used to treat diabetes and inflammatory illnesses, Exelixis says. If certain milestones are hit, Exelixis said the Bristol-Myers deal could eventually result in payments of more than $500 million. Both drug programs are in preclinical trials. Bristol-Myers in June walked away from a deal with Exelixis under which the companies were to have worked on a cancer drug. The two companies have five other licensing agreements in place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV