Wall Street has bought into this rosy view, pushing Boeing up 30% this year, making it the Dow's third-best performer. Analysts are estimating earnings of $1.05 a share when Boeing reports on Wednesday, which represents a sharp reversal from a loss of $2.22 a share a year earlier.
"Boeing at this point in its history is as well-positioned as I have ever seen it," said Davenport & Co. analyst Carter Leake. "It's a duopolist, with airplanes in short supply," Leake said. "I am looking out ten years and it looks damn good."
Yet the Boeing story also has a troubling side. Development of the 787 veered far off course. The true cost of this variance is not known and may never be known. Another new airplane, the 747-800 freighter, was also delayed, as resources were diverted to the 787. Delays accounted for the year-ago third quarter loss.In an Oct. 1 report, Gleacher & Co. analyst Peter Arment sketched out the dichotomy within Boeing. On the one hand, he said, "Boeing is incurring more costs on the 747-8 program" and "the 787 and 747-8 still have headline risks," he said. On the other hand, "program accounting benefits coupled with continued strong performance within the 737 and 777 platforms have partially offset the increase in costs." In fact, Arment noted, "a higher number of 777 deliveries and continuing strong profit contributions from both the 777 and 737 programs" led him to increase his estimate to $1.06 a share. Other analysts also raised estimates, so that consensus has risen from 99 cents at the start of the month. To extrapolate, good Boeing -- the 737 and the 777 -- profitably supports bad Boeing, the delay-wracked development programs for the 787 and the 747-800. Meanwhile, despite anticipated declines in U.S. defense spending, Boeing Defense, Space and Security seems unlikely to suffer. Arment noted that "international orders
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV