Mortgage Mess: Weekend Reading
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Good Sunday afternoon, and welcome to another edition of Weekend Reading. First a look back at the week that just finished, then a look at the week ahead and, lastly, a summary of articles and research papers worth reading.
It was another positive week on the major equity markets. All three major U.S. indices ended higher, with the Nasdaq leading the way with 3.6% gain, the S&P 500 up 1.1% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average rising 0.5%. Tech was a primary catalyst, with earnings outperformance from companies like Google (GOOG) taking stock markets higher. But the gains were fairly widespread -- outside of banks, that is. The mortgage fraud allegations continue to make this lifeless sector even more lifeless than usual.
Looking ahead to next week, all eyes are on the escalating mortgage mess. Left with the option of banking executives being either stupid or criminal, many investors are increasingly selecting "all of the above." This saga will grow louder in the coming week, with no good outcomes obvious.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV