Mortgage Mess: Weekend Reading
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Good Sunday afternoon, and welcome to another edition of Weekend Reading. First a look back at the week that just finished, then a look at the week ahead and, lastly, a summary of articles and research papers worth reading.
It was another positive week on the major equity markets. All three major U.S. indices ended higher, with the Nasdaq leading the way with 3.6% gain, the S&P 500 up 1.1% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average rising 0.5%. Tech was a primary catalyst, with earnings outperformance from companies like Google (GOOG) taking stock markets higher. But the gains were fairly widespread -- outside of banks, that is. The mortgage fraud allegations continue to make this lifeless sector even more lifeless than usual.
Looking ahead to next week, all eyes are on the escalating mortgage mess. Left with the option of banking executives being either stupid or criminal, many investors are increasingly selecting "all of the above." This saga will grow louder in the coming week, with no good outcomes obvious.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV