BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Insurance stocks are some of the cheapest in the equity market. Aside from AIG (AIG), which recently attracted capital from value guru Bruce Berkowitz of Fairholme Capital (FAIRX), insurance stocks get little attention from the media. Warren Buffett earned a fortune buying insurance companies. His Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) has been involved in the insurance business since it bought National Indemnity in 1967.
Here are the 10 cheapest U.S. insurance stocks. Most trade below book value and are predicted by analysts to make huge gains in the next year. Although the insurance business is inherently risky, the value of these stocks provides investors with a margin of safety. Below, they are ordered by forward earnings multiple, from cheap to cheapest.
10. Protective Life (PL) sells insurance and investment products. Second-quarter profit tumbled 54% to $41 million, or 47 cents a share, as revenue decreased 9.3% to $712 million. The operating margin narrowed from 21% to 14%. Protective Life's stock trades at a trailing earnings multiple of 7.2, a forward earnings multiple of 7.6 and a cash flow multiple of 1.7 -- 58%, 31%, and 82% discounts to insurance industry averages. One analyst rates it "buy," nine rate it "hold" and two rank it "sell." A median target of $25.43 suggests a 12-month return of 15%.
Bullish Scenario: UBS (UBS) predicts that Protective Life's stock will rise 40% to $31.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV