On Friday, cigarette maker Reynolds American announced an increase of its quarterly dividend, as well as a two-for-one stock split. The stock split will be in the form a special 100% stock dividend, the company said, whereby shareholders of record on Nov. 1 will receive one additional share of RAI common stock for each share they own, to be issued on Nov. 15.
Reynolds' quarterly dividend will increase to 49 cents per share, from 45 cents per share, on a split-adjusted basis. On a presplit basis, the increase amounts to an 8.9% higher payout, payable Jan. 3, 2011 to shareholders of record on Dec. 10. That brings Reynolds' dividend yield to 3.3% as of the close of trading Thursday
On Thursday, Healthcare Services Group (HCSG), a provider of housekeeping and maintenance services to the healthcare industry, announced it raised its quarterly dividend by 1.1% to 23.25 cents per share. The new dividend will be paid Nov. 5 to shareholders of record on Oct. 22.The increase came in conjunction with the release of Healthcare Services' third-quarter financial report, which included a 9% increase in revenue and 12% jump in year-over-year earnings. The increased dividend brings the company's current yield to 3.8%. Matthews International (MATW), a casket and cremation equipment maker, increased its shareholder payout by 14.3% to 8 cents per share. The higher dividend will be paid Nov. 8 to shareholders of record on Oct. 25. Matthews' current dividend yield is 0.9%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV