For all its power and upside, Quicken 2011 has the unsettling qualities of other nouveau accounting tools. Centuries-old bean counting conventions such as revenue and earnings are abandoned for near-meaningless definitions such as bills and spending. Whose bills? Mine? My dependents'? My contractors'? Also, Intuit takes great pride in being 90 percent accurate in its automated importation of data. Yes, that's impressive, but the IRS will not be impressed with the 10 percent of entries that are wrong. All ledger data really do need to be checked by hand for accuracy, which is a drag.
Intuit responded that my issues with Quicken were due to me reviewing this product as an accounting tool for small businesses, rather than strictly as a personal finance tool.
"Once you get two or three employees," Patzer said, "You move up to QuickBooks or a similar small-business accounting package."
And, he said, the average user will be satisfied with Quicken's fiscal logic.On a larger level, it is not clear if the software's features -- no matter how spiffy -- will be enough to differentiate Quicken in a crowded market with dozens of free and low-cost personal finance options. BOTTOM LINE Overall, Quicken 2011 is a solid upgrade. It's fast, robust and offers many easy-to-use personal finance options. Within limits, it can keep small firms on the right side of the law. But I still would advise any small business to consult an accountant on using the ledgers so no mistakes are made. And only time will tell if the market will pay even $30 for something as widely available as personal finance software. The fact is, personal finance software is a mature, brutally deflationary sector; and even a brand as powerful as Intuit's Quicken may have no answer for that. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV