The Mountain View, Calif. Internet search shop posted adjusted earnings of $7.64 a share up from the $5.89 adjusted profit in the year-ago quarter and 97 cents above the $6.67 analysts were looking for.
Net revenue, excluding traffic acquisition costs in the fiscal third quarter ended last month was $5.48 billion, up from the $4.83 billion a year ago and more than the $5.25 billion analysts were looking for.
Google was expected to turn in a solid third quarter performance. The company's grip on the search market share strengthened in September at the expense of rival Yahoo! (YHOO) And the big spending days that characterized Google's expansion era days, seem to be ending as Google gets more frugal and shuts down more unprofitable ventures.Google shares jumped more $36.21, or more than 6%, to $577.14 afterhours trading Thursday. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To send a tip, email: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV