Rumors began circulating after a Citigroup analyst report issued Wednesday pegged EMC -- as well as BMC Software (BMC), Cerner (CERN), F5 (FFIV) and Mellanox (MLNX) -- as potential targets for Oracle. EMC is a "long shot," the report said.
While a deal with Oracle is possible because of EMC's attractive storage business, EMC's 80% stake in virtualization software company
(VMW) might add complications, Avian Securities analyst Matt Bryson said. EMC has traditionally taken a "hands off" approach with VMWare, and Oracle "might have a hard time with
If Oracle decided to buy EMC, it might consider divesting VMWare, Bryson added.Bryson also deemed other rumors circulating about a combination between Microsoft (MSFT) and EMC as implausible. "Could Microsoft be interested in VMware?" he said. "That's more interesting, but not EMC as a whole." Data storage companies have already seen a string of buyouts in the last few months, including HP's (HPQ) $2.35 billion acquisition of 3Par in September, and IBM's (IBM) purchase of Neteeza for $1.7 billion. EMC and Oracle could not be reached for immediate comment. In midday trading, EMC was up 3.74% to $21.06 and Oracle was down 1.4% to $28.20. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV