By Jeff Reeves of
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- There's something downright despicable about debt out there these days. From outrage over the massive federal budget deficit to a new resolve (or fear of unemployment) prompting Americans to once more live within their means, it appears that the days of easy credit and easy spending are becoming a thing of the past.
But what about corporations? The economic earthquake of the past few years has made debt an unavoidable reality for some, prompting them to borrow funds to keep the lights on. Others swooped in to buy out embattled competitors -- taking on billions in debt even if the strategic partnership was a relative bargain. The old adage that you have to spend money to make money seems to have held true even in these lean times.
But believe it or not, there is a fairly large group of companies out there living debt-free -- and reaping huge rewards of their fiscal restraint.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV