NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Although coal stocks come with their set of vulnerabilities, many analysts maintain a buy rating for stocks such as Peabody Energy ( BTU ), Alpha Natural Resources ( ANR ), James River Coal ( JRCC ) and Arch Coal ( ACI ).
BMO Research indicated in an investor note that Alpha Natural is in its top 15 base metals and bulk miners stock picks. "A mixture of metallurgical and thermal exposure with reasonable valuation for a high quality name," is how it was described. "High margins, good management team, and strong balance sheet."
"More positive investors could opt to increase exposure to copper and met coal-related equities, as tight markets are forecast to result in higher prices," BMO Capital Markets analyst Meredith Bandy said in an October client note.
Meanwhile, Mathew Christy, coal industry equity analyst at Standard & Poor's Equity Research, said that Peabody is probably one of the better coal stocks due to its overall size and direct exposure to some of the higher-growth international markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV