Among the most popular funds, a few still make sensible choices. Consider American Funds EuroPacific Growth (AEPGX). Although the portfolio is large, the performance has not shown signs of slowing down. During the past three years, the fund lost 4.7% annually, outdoing 93% of its foreign large blend competitors. Because they can invest in markets around the world, the portfolio managers should be able to find enough top stocks to fill the portfolio. The expense ratio is 0.85%, compared to an average figure for the category of 1.51%.
Another safe selection is the Fidelity Spartan 500 Index (FUSEX), which tracks the S&P 500.
Because they simply mimic the benchmark, giant index funds deliver the same results as small ones. Fidelity only charges an expense ratio of 0.10%, one of the lowest fees available among 401(k) choices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV