BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Few industries are as attuned financially to the ebb and flow of consumer sentiment as retail is. Retail stocks were among the first (and worst) to see pullbacks in 2008 as the economy soured and consumers hoarded cash. Retail stocks were also among the first to see their top lines benefit from a resurgence of spending.
Now that investors have become increasingly anxious about the economy once again, we're taking a look at five retail stocks that have potential for a short squeeze. The timing is especially important right now, with the University of Michigan's preliminary Consumer Sentiment numbers for October set to hit Wall Street on Friday morning. A strong showing could shake out some unconvicted shorts in this market.
When that happens, you've got the potential for a profitable short squeeze on your hands.A short squeeze is the buying frenzy that ensues when a heavily shorted stock starts to look attractive again to investors, causing short-sellers to cover their positions -- and share price to skyrocket. One of the best indicators of just how high a short-squeezed stock could go is the short interest ratio, which divides shares short by average daily trading volume in order to get a ballpark estimate of the number of days it would take for short-sellers to cover their positions. The higher the short ratio, the higher the potential profits when the shorts get squeezed. >>Also: 5 NYSE Short-Squeeze Opportunities Here's a look at a handful of retail stocks that have the potential to see a short squeeze at current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV