For the most part Tuesday, biotech stocks finished in the green, following the broader market higher. The Nasdaq Biotechnology Index finished the day down 5.76 points at 914.15.
By the closing bell Tuesday, Alexca shares paired earlier losses, finishing the session down 3% to $1.34 in another day of frantic trading. Investors wiped out half the company's market value during the previous session.
Elsewhere in the world of experimental tinctures, Geron (GERN) stock continued to climb in the wake of the stem-cell drug developer's historic launch of human clinical trials Monday.The stock closed at $6.37, adding another 12% Tuesday. Volume in Geron shares Tuesday was heavy again, surpassing 9 million. Average daily turnover is about 1 million. -- Written by Scott Eden in New York P/>
Scott Eden. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/ScottEden. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV