(Information on Pfizer's acquisition of King Pharmaceuticals and offshore oil drilling regulations updated in today's Hot Trends article.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- "King Pharmaceuticals" is a hot search topic today following the news that Pfizer (PFE) has struck a $3.6 billion deal to acquire pain-reliever specialist King Pharmaceuticals (KG).
The agreement helped boost shares of Pain Therapeutics (PTIE), an early-stage painkiller developer. Pain has teamed with King on the development of Pain's lead drug candidate Remoxy, which is currently in clinical trials.The companies have a licensing agreement for Remoxy, a "strong painkiller" which, according to Pain's press reports, has a "unique formulation designed to reduce potential risks of unintended use." Pfizer is likely interested in King's research on and involvement with "abuse-resistant" pain drugs.
"Offshore oil rigs" is a heavily search phrase today after the news that the U.S. government lifted the moratorium on deepwater drilling today. >>Energy Winners: Gulf of Mexico Oil Companies Alive and Well The Obama administration put the restrictions in place following the disastrous BP (BP) oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Drilling companies must file for new permits before they can start drilling again. In order to be cleared for operations, companies must meet a set of safety requirements. The CEO of each company must comply with new regulations in efforts to reduce the chance of future accidents.
"Internet TV" is a hot search topic today as Google (GOOG) prepares to launch its highly anticipated Internet TV service, Google TV, this fall.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV